By William Kosann
Cowboys Nation was thrilled after the accusation of Mike McCarthy, former Super Bowl champion coach, but after a rough 2-5 start, everybody in Dallas is calling for Mike McCarthy’s head. Players are calling out the coaching staff saying, “Our Coaches Aren’t Good At Their Jobs.”
America’s Team is in the hot seat since they were expected to have a winning season, but, now, that doesn’t seem to be in the cards. One could argue that this is how the season was going to go the minute Dak Prescott went down against the Giants, or when Andy Dalton went down against the Washington Football Team. But at the end of the day, Mike McCarthy is an old fashioned coach.
The top coaches in the NFL, Andy Reid, Bill Belichick, and Pete Carrol, are always adapting to the way the NFL evolves, but Mike McCarthy seems to be sticking to his old ways. Mike McCarthy may only be a well-renowned coach only because he always had Aaron Rodgers or Brett Farve in his backfield.
While Jerry Jones will not admit it, the Cowboys are destined for a rebuild. Outside of their superstar wide-receiving core and running backs, there is not much worth saving. Their offensive line is aging, their defense is one of the worst in the league, and some argue that Dak won’t be able to take the team to a Super Bowl. However, Jerry seems to want Dak back in the leadership role next season quoting, “We have no doubt that he [Dak] will return to the position of leadership and purpose that he brings to our team.”
Injuries riddle the Cowboys as well:
- Dak Prescott (QB) was placed on the injured reserve.
- Andy Dalton (QB) is out for 1-2 games with a concussion.
- Zach Martin (G) is out with a concussion. A possible return is in Week 8.
- Chidobe Awuzie (CB) is out due to his hamstring A possible return is in Week 8.
- Sean Lee (OLB) is out with a hernia. A possible return is in Week 8.
- Joe Looney (C) is out for his MCL in his knee. A possible return is in Week 8.
- Trysten Hill (DT) is out for the year due to his ACL.
- La’el Collins (T) is out for the year due to his hip.
- Tyron Smith (T) is out for the year due to his neck.
The rest of the Cowboys’ season is difficult with Dallas against the Steelers (Week 9), the Ravens (Week 13), and the 49ers (Week 15). Hopefully, they can make something out of their nightmare of a season.